Research Experience for High School Students
The Research Experience for High School Students (formerly Research Internship Program) is an intense 6-week scientific research internship at Vanderbilt University, centering on full immersion in a Vanderbilt University or Vanderbilt University Medical Center research lab. Students engage in an independent research project under the mentorship of a research faculty member at Vanderbilt.
All REHSS participants also attend weekly breakout sessions as a group; led by a team of Vanderbilt faculty, post-doctoral researchers, and graduate students. These breakout sessions complement the student's lab experience by developing skill sets for scientific communication and comprehension, as well as, expose students to the Vanderbilt research community, scientific careers, and university studies.
REHSS culminates with an end-of-summer research symposium where students will present their project in a public research poster forum, consistent with national scientific meetings.
- Students must be current 11th graders (entering their 12th grade year in the fall of 2013);
- Students must be 16 years of age by June 3, 2013;
- Students must commit fully to all 6 weeks of the program. REHSS will take place from June 3-July 12, 2013. If you are unable to participate for the duration of the six weeks you will not be considered for participation.
- REHSS is free for all students.
- We DO accept out-of-town students, however, REHSS is NOT a residential program, therefore we cannot provide housing. Any out-of-town students must provide proof of a suitable, supervised housing arrangement.
- Students must provide their own transportation, however, parking is provided.
- Financial assistance in the form of stipends may be available but cannot be guaranteed.
- You do not need to contact Vanderbilt researchers for lab placement; we will make the arrangements for placement.
Students are accepted through a competitive application process, which will include an interview. Click here for the 2013 application! All applications are due by March1, 2013 at 5:00pm.
The summer research experience is intense but highly rewarding. It may be the best summer you've ever had! If you enjoy science and have a strong desire to explore and discover the world around you, we are looking for you.
View some past REHSS projects.
Contact us for more information.